J514N Shalom Community Development Projects
India, Indian Subcontinent
Shalom Community Development Projects is a holistic care and community development project situated in Erampatti Village in Madurai, a district in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The village has approximately 1000 families with limited water supply and has no medical facilities.
- To reduce homelessness, poverty and hunger amongst widows and abandoned children
- Improve the rural poor’s access to educational services and resources
- Improve access to health services
- Improve the rural poor’s capacity to earn income
- A small sustainable farming community is being established on 5 acres of land on the outskirts of the village to provide a place where widows and children can live together and grow food. Dairy cows, chickens and ducks provide food and income and a well, bore and drip irrigation system have been installed to provide water for fruit trees and vegetable gardens.
- The project also operates an afterschool tutoring program in the village, medical care program, distributes goats to poor families, provides employment and training opportunities for local villagers on the project’s farming and construction activities.
Donate to J514N